Friday, August 03, 2007

Personalized Baby Afghan Notes

These notes are simply for my benefit regarding yarn usage. Kim's directions are over and above. She did a wonderful job. In fact, reading her very precise directions, I made a swatch before starting. Not something I normally do, especially for a blanket. ;)

  • I had to switch to a size I hook. I crochet tight and my swatch was an inch off of what Kim's gauge said. I'm still a centimeter or two off, but I'm ok with that.
  • It took one 6 oz skein of the Caron Simply Brites to work up the bottom portion of the heart border and the first side until the instructions say to fasten off. I was only left with 6 meters of yarn.
  • Ok. I was trying to figure out if I read the pattern incorrectly, but I've given up on that. On row 43 of the second side of the heart border, it appears that I am a row off. But according to the graph, not according to the written directions. I start on the correct side, the edge instead of the middle, however, I will have 28 open square on the inside of the border going up instead of 27. I will just have to make sure that I measure and make a swatch for the inside portion, the personalized mat so it will fit inside the border. I was frustrated with myself and was unable to frog it since I had fastened off and weaved in the end on the left side already. But I believe I can still work with it.
  • More to add as I go on

No comments: