Monday, January 28, 2008

Savannah's Song

6/6/08 Update - Sadly, Savannah passed away about 2 weeks ago. Prayers of comfort and healing to her family.

My friend's daughter's friend, Savannah, is 14 years old and has a brain tumor. The doctors are saying she will not live long.

When I crochet, I touch every inch of every fiber that goes into the project. I pray over the items when I crochet them.

When I heard about Savannah, I immediately wondered what I could make for her.

I was thinking a hat, because I thought she would be losing her hair during the treatments. But the doctors say that with the type of treatments they are using, she will not be losing her hair.

And, we live in Florida, so hats aren't too helpful.

I went to the craft store to pick out some yarn. I picked up some Bernat Bamboo in Water and used an L hook. It's one of my favorite yarns to work with, it's so soft. It's 89% Bamboo and 11% Acrylic. One of the free patterns on the label was for a shrug (basically a rectangle sewed about 8-10 inches from each end to make sleeves). I thought this would be a nice accessory to give her.

It's about 42" x 14". I used my 14-year-old daughter as a model for sizing and for photos.

I just kept hearing, in my head, "Savannah's Song" as I was making this. I also like to search the scriptures to add a Bible verse to the items I make. I really felt that these verses are for Savannah.

Psalm 42:7-8 Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls; all your waves and breakers have swept over me.

By day the LORD directs his love, at night his song is with me— a prayer to the God of my life.

No comments: